Thousands of Canadians choose to help others in the world through the programs of Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR). They have many reasons for entrusting their donation to us:
CLWR strictly adheres to accepted practices of accountability in the development community. Our localized field programs submit regular reports, and in turn we are obligated to report to the government and non-governmental partners who support us. We are a results-based organization that continually measures progress.
CLWR’s Donor Restricted Gift Policy
Spending of funds is confined to charity-approved programs and projects. Each contribution directed toward an approved program or project will be used as restricted with the understanding that when the need for such a program or project has been met, or cannot be completed for any reason as determined by the charity, the remaining restricted contributions will be used where most needed.
Donor Bill of Rights
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To ensure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the non-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
Developed by: American Association of Fund Raising Counsel (AAFRC), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) and Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP).
Endorsed by: Association of Lutheran Development Executives (ALDE). CLWR is a member of ALDE.
Our administration costs are impressively low, at only three per cent. Eighty-eight cents of every dollar you donate is used towards global support. We spend much less on advertising and campaigning than other agencies. Education and public engagement costs are nine per cent in total. (Numbers are from the 2016-17 fiscal year).
Reach & Impact
Through partnerships with established and respected international agencies, we are able to respond to emergencies and humanitarian needs in almost all parts of the world. Our programs are designed to reach entire communities, not just individual children or families. Sustainability is also a key measure in all our programs.
Please note that where donations exceed what is needed for a particular purpose, funds will be redirected to where they are needed most.
View our Annual Reports for more information.
Our registered charity number
We have been a federally registered organization since 1946. Our Canada Revenue Agency charity registration number is 106863038RR0001.